When it comes to creative or artistic works, if you did not create it, you don’t own it. If you have ever hired someone to create a special piece of art for your business…like your logo or some artwork for a t-shirt, you may need to have the creator of the work assign his/her ownership rights to you so that you are free to use the work as you wish. Purchasing the rights to the work will also strip the original author of his/her right to use, display, publish or re-sell the work. Alternatively, if you are an artist and you need a tool handy to transfer ownership of your work from you to your clients, then you need a copyright assignment agreement.
A copyright assignment agreement is a document designed to transfer ownership of a creative work from one party to another. Copyright ownership of a creative work automatically rests with the person who created the work. Accordingly, an official transfer of ownership rights is necessary regardless of whether the creative work has been registered with the U.S. Copyright Office. Grab this template to ensure that copyright ownership rests with the right party!
More About This Template…
This template was drafted by a licensed, experienced business law attorney and reviewed for correctness by a law professor. So trust us, you’re in good hands! This template is easy-to-read and ready-to-use. All you have to do is download and fill in the blanks. But, if you still need some guidance on how to complete the template, we have included drafting notes and comments in the document to help guide you as you navigate the template.
- Delivered in both MS Word and PDF Formats
- Document is 5-pages in length (including a separate document for recording the assignment with the U.S. Copyright Office)
- Compatible with both PC and Mac
- Available for download on desktop and mobile
- Comes with a “draft” version complete with drafting tips and notes
- Easily customizable with your brand colors and logo
- Ready for upload into any electronic signature platform
- Can be used over and over again for other creative works or new parties
- Includes a copyright assignment filing certificate just in case you need to record your assignment with the U.S. Copyright Office #yourewelcome
- Includes a table of copyright information to make it easy to provide a description of the work being assigned
- Some other legal stuff that makes this agreement super legit
Who Should Use This Template?
- Business Owners
- Service Providers
- Anyone who needs to transfer ownership of a creative work.